Caladryl (Pramoxine) lotion is one of the most popular soothing lotions that can be used for multiple purposes. It is a well-known brand that is known for its medical benefits on skin and treats skin’s common concerns. Caladryl is a topical lotion that is used to soothe skin irritation and allergies such as rash, minor cuts, burns, eczema, insect bites, sunburn, prickly heat, and many more. Dermatologists recommend caladryl lotion for itching as a result of acne on the face. Pramoxine is useful in reducing irritation associated with hemorrhoids or problems in genitals areas (vagina, rectum).
Pramoxine belongs to a class of local anesthetics that numbs the skin by blocking pain and itching. The lotion is safe to use on the face as it is free from toxic chemicals or ingredients. This product includes calamine, zinc acetate, and zinc oxide, which act as a skin protectant. Additionally, it is safe for children to use and should be used under adult supervision. This topical solution can also be used to decrease redness, swelling, and faster healing. Nevertheless, this topical lotion is strictly for external use. One should not swallow this medication because it can bring adverse effects.
Directions for use
Caladryl lotion is strictly for external use for skincare as directed by your physician. It is recommended to avoid this medication on open wounds, severe burns, or deep cuts. In these cases, this solution should not be used. If you are self-treating with this medication, it is essential to note the instructions given on the package to determine the appropriate use of the product. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more clarification in case of any query.
These steps should be followed for applying the medication to the affected area as follow:
1. Wash your hands with soap and water or sanitize with sanitizer if you have any.
2. Gently wash the affected area with clean water and dry the affected area.
3. Note that the caladryl lotion container should be shaken well before using as directed by the instructions. The product is contraindicated for use in Rectum.
4. Now, gently apply caladryl lotion to the affected area using cotton or your fingers.
5. Do not rub or massage the caladryl lotion into the skin.
6. Always note that lotion should not wet the skin while covering the applied area.
7. Immediately wash your hands with clean water after use.
8. It is suggested to use 3 to 4 times a day for two weeks and can be used for a longer time under the supervision of your doctor.
9. Do not treat large body parts with caladryl lotion or more Frequently without asking your doctor. Your condition will bring more side effects than positive impacts or results.
There can be some side effects of using caladryl lotion. Different people report different side effects. However, people using this product do not experience any serious side effects. Some of the common side effects are listed below:
- Burning or stinging on the applied area after caladryl application. Inform the doctor or pharmacist, if either of the problems occurs or worsens.
- Irritation, dryness, or redness may occur at the application site.
- Some patients may experience acne, unwanted hair growth, and hair thinning. Inform your doctor if the problem persists.
- If your doctor directed this medication to you, it means the positive results outweigh the side effects.
- Generally, serious side effects are rare. However, if you experience breathing difficulty, severe dizziness, swelling of the face, tongue, or throat, contact your doctor promptly.
- You may experience side effects other than the listed ones and get medical assistance.
It is very important to tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have allergic to caladryl (pramoxine) or any other ingredient added to the product or have any other allergies. The product has some inactive ingredients which may cause allergies after use of this product. Therefore, talk to the pharmacist for more details about the product.
Tell your doctor if you have any medical history such as severe burns, deep cuts, or active wounds before using this product.
If the rectum starts bleeding in hemorrhoids with caladryl, immediately contact your doctor.
If you are about to have any surgery, tell your doctor about all the medications you use, including herbal drugs.
This product needs strict supervision during pregnancy. Discuss the benefits as well as risks associated with using caladryl lotion.
Determining drug interactions is Important for the best results while on treatment. Drug interactions can alter the mechanism of action of caladryl and even increase the risk of side effects of caladryl.
Keep in touch with a pharmacist for more details about drug interactions. Inform the pharmacist about all the drugs or products you use.
Do not start, stop or change the dosage form of the medicine before the doctor’s approval.
This medication (Caladryl) may give rise to adverse health effects if swallowed. If any individual overdoses on the Medication or has Serious ill effects such as trouble breathing, call your provincial poison control center.
Keep all updated medical and laboratory records and appointments.
Use the product at the scheduled time at the directed dose. If you miss the dose, take it at your earliest convenience. If it’s near to your next dose, then go as per the regular schedule. Never double the dose to patch up the missed dose.
Store this product at room temperature. Check storage instructions on the package for more details or ask your pharmacist. Protect it from direct sunlight or moisture. Keep this product out of range from children and pets.
Never flush this medication in the toilet or a drain unless directed to do so.
Do not discard caladryl lotion if it is no longer used or expired. Bring it back to the pharmacy for appropriate disposal or contact a local disposal company.
Check our other blogs Is Watermelon Good For Ulcer?