Rolaids is an effective medication that consists of calcium and magnesium salts used as an antacid. This medication contains calcium carbonate of 550 mg and magnesium hydroxide is 110 mg. It also consists of other inactive ingredients to make it a consumable product.
It is used to achieve quick relief from gas, heartburn, and indigestion. Rolaids antacid is quite effective for relieving stomach symptoms.
Moving further, Rolaids is an over-the-counter drug which means it does not necessarily need any prescription. Also, it does not a controlled medication. Rolaids act as an antacid containing two bases named calcium and magnesium that decrease the acid hyperactivity in the stomach. By counteracting the stomach acid, resulting in relief from stomach acid hyperactivity.
Uses of Rolaids
- Provides quick relief from Gas
- Relief from Heartburn
- Relief from Indigestion
- Control acid hyperactivity
- Relief from other stomach symptoms
How to Take Rolaids
Rolaids are available as tablets, liquid, and chewable tablets in the market. Taking Rolaids tablets is as simple as other tablets that are taken by mouth.
- Take this medication as directed by the doctor
- Take Rolaids tablets by mouth as per directions
- Do not directly swallow the medication if it is a chewable tablet
- If it’s in liquid form, shake well before use
- Follow all the label instructions
- Do not ignore the doctor’s or pharmacist’s instructions
- If side effects occur, immediately contact your healthcare professional
- Unexpected Weight Loss
- Mood Swings
- Muscle Pain
- Mild Allergic Reaction (if you are allergic to any component)
- High Blood Calcium Levels
The above listed are some of the side effects that may occur as a result of taking Rolaids. Moreover, these side effects can go away on their own. However, if you experience any serious side, immediately contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Rolaids
Rolaids is a very safe medication and can be consumed without any difficulty. This medication offers various good benefits to the consumer. Nevertheless, there are some disadvantages of Rolaids.
- Advantages include quick relief from stomach symptoms
- Neutralizes stomach acid quickly
- Several alternatives in the market
- You do not need any doctor’s prescription
- Different flavors are available in the market
- Safe to consume
While disadvantages include:
- Short time relief
- Less efficacious than H2 antagonists and PPIs
- The drug needs to be repeated multiple times
- Tablet texture may be unsuitable for patients
- Cannot be consumed in Kidney problems
Rolaids is a very safe medication and serious health complication is infrequent. However, inform your doctor about your condition for individuals with critical kidney issues or related health complications. If you have a query, consult with your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
- Rolaids should not be consumed if you have hypercalcemia.
- Kidney stones may occur in kidney complications.
- Do not take it if you have any stomach or intestinal disorders.
- An allergic reaction may occur.
- Inform your doctor if you are allergic to any of the drug compositions.
- Consult your doctor if you are pregnant.
- Do not consume if you are a lactating mother.
- Never take this medication more than the directed dose.
- Should not take more than 12 tablets within 24 hours to avoid serious side effects.
- Consult with your doctor or pharmacist if you have any queries.
- Rolaids can interact with multiple drugs prescription
- With Herbal Products (if you use any)
- Calcium Acetate
- Supplements such as phosphate
- Never take this drug with tetracyclines class of drugs such as minocycline and doxycycline because of its complex formation ability.
- Do not take this medication with ciprofloxacin or other quinolones antibiotics to prevent any unusual toxicity or retarded absorption.
- Other medication interactions profile includes iron, alendronate, and anti-thyroid drugs.
- Should not adjust the dose and schedule before the approval of your doctor or pharmacist.
- Ask your pharmacist about the total duration of this drug therapy.
- Inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are using any calcium supplements or related drugs.
1. Overdosing Rolaids antacid can lead to serious health complications. If unintentionally overdosing happens, call 911 immediately. You can call the poison control center for your medical emergency (Breathing difficulty).
2. Discontinuing smoking, alcohol, unhealthy diet and lifestyle can improve your stomach symptoms. These contribute to many Stomach problems.
3. Store this medication at room temperature and avoid direct sunlight and moisture.
4. Keep Rolaids out of reach of children and pets to avoid mishappenings.
5. It should be used under doctor supervision for pediatric use. Also, it is recommended to avoid giving children less than 2 years old.
5. Do not discard it randomly in the toilet or sewage. Please return it to the pharmacy or contact your local disposal company.
6. Keep in touch with your pharmacist if you need any further assistance.
Rolaids is a very safe medication and can be used against stomach symptoms safely. Nevertheless, inform your doctor or pharmacist if you are going to continue this medication for more than two weeks. Additionally, consult with your doctor about your condition to receive the appropriate medical assistance for your condition.
Rolaids.com: “Rolaids Extra Strength Chewable Tablets”
DailyMed: “Rolaids Extra Strength Tablets”
MedlinePlus: “Taking Antacids”
Mayo Clinic: “Heartburn – Diagnosis and Treatment”
Read other drugs info Caladryl Lotion