What is a vertical labret piercing?
A vertical labret piercing is a bar punctured upward through the center of the lower lip. Many people prefer vertical labret piercing to show off their piercing as an attractive body modification. Because it is directly drilled into the lips, you can’t hide it. Additionally, people fond of piercing or like body modifications can go for vertical labret piercing. Vertical labret piercing may add up beauty to your style. It’s done on the outer side of the mouth.
Further, you need to know everything about vertical labret piercing, such as what suits you, your face shape, the healing process, etc. Generally, as its name suggests, vertical labret piercing includes a bar vertically inserted from the upward center of the lip into the lower lip. It is usually visible to other people. Therefore, it can look as expected if done by a piercing expert. However, different experts use different techniques based on their client’s comfortability.
Experts may mark the skin to be pierced and do the piercing procedure with appropriate gauze. However, it’s essential to note that it can be more painful than other piercing procedures. It hurts because there are many sensitive tissues and nerve endings around our mouth. Therefore, appropriate care after the procedure is essential for the best results and to prevent future complications.
Pros of a vertical labret piercing
There are many pros to vertical labret piercing than other forms of piercing. Some of the significant pros of vertical labret are as follows:
- Quick Procedure: Vertical labret piercing is a safe and quick procedure that can be done within minutes. Different piercing experts use other techniques based on the client’s preference and comfort.
- Quick Healing: The primary benefit of this piercing is its swift healing process. It has significantly less healing time than many other types of piercing. For instance, belly button piercing may take upto one year. Ear cartilage may take around one year, while nasal septum may heal in as much as eight months.
- Improved Look: Labret piercing may enhance your face look by selecting jewelry that suits your face shape. It can add some weight to your overall style.
- Affordable Jewelry: The jewelry used in this piercing is more affordable than other forms of piercing. The jewelry items used in this procedure, such as titanium bars and stainless steel, range from $10 to $40.
Cons of a vertical labret piercing
- Painful Procedure: There can be pain while performing the vertical labret piercing procedure. It hurts due to sensitive tissues and many nerve endings around the mouth.
- Appropriate Jewellery Diameter: Your piercing expert must evaluate the proper diameter of the barbell. The expert’s barbell should meet some quality standards for the best experience.
- Takes Around 8 Weeks for Healing: If you need your healing to be completed within a week, it might be an issue. It takes around eight weeks to heal under ordinary conditions.
- Needs Piercing Expert: Vertical labret piercing demands a piercing expert for its success. If it’s done unprofessionally, there might be lip injury, scarring, or swelling at the site of the piercing.
Complications and health risks
- Risk of Infection: There might be a risk of minor infection after you are done with the piercing. A minor illness may happen even if your piercing expert has performed the process under the standard operating procedure. A minor infection includes swelling of the lips and increased sensitivity of the lips or skin around the lips.
- Allergic Reactions: Although allergies that are caused due to metals, namely titanium and stainless steel in piercing barbells, are infrequent. Nonetheless, if someone gets an allergy to these metals, their allergic symptoms may include:
- Sores and swelling around the lips.
- People may develop chronic inflammation in the gums of the mouth.
- Hives or rash on the body.
- May interrupt the healing process under the usual conditions.
- Skin’s Scarring: As a result of inappropriate piercing or related conditions, visible scar tissue may develop. That is why professional piercers should do piercing.
- Nerve Damage: Because there are many nerve endings around the lips, nerve disruption may occur due to vertical labret piercing.
- Swelling: It’s normal if you have swollen lips for a few days after piercing. If the swelling persists or worsens, talk to your physician immediately. It might be an indication of an active infection.
People who should avoid a vertical labret piercing
- Pregnant women
- People having skin infection
- Dermatitis and related skin disorders
- Keloid scars or prone to these types of scars
- Sports person
Aftercare tips for a vertical labret piercing
- Do not touch or remove your pierced barbell, especially when the procedure is fresh.
- It is the best approach to get your piercing done by a qualified or an expert piercer.
- Do not perform your own piercing.
- Always clean your hands before touching your mouth.
- Do clean your face twice per day.
- It’s good to avoid alcohol-based products. For example, mouthwash.
- Keep your hygiene at your best to prevent infections.
- Let your piercing be healed appropriately under normal conditions.
Presently, vertical labret piercing has been evolving as the fastest fashion trend in the piercing world—however, different people like different types of piercings. For example, some may prefer vertical labret piercing over other forms, while others may like to have belly button piercing.