Brompheniramine Pseudoephedrine Dextromethorphan (Bromphen pseudo Dextro) HBR syrup is commonly used to treat various upper respiratory problems due to allergies or the common cold. It relieves runny nose and eyes, throat irritation, cough, and related upper respiratory issues.
This Bromphen pseudo Dextro HBR syrup consists of brompheniramine, pseudoephedrine, and dextromethorphan, and is also available in generic form. Generally, the generic form of this medication is more cost-effective than the brand one. However, desired specific strength or dosage forms may not be available in generic ones. The syrup helps treat several upper respiratory conditions and take this syrup by Mouth only.
Mechanism of action
The syrup combines three ingredients (brompheniramine, pseudoephedrine, and dextromethorphan) that can treat different problems. Various drug constituents perform other actions such as:
- Brompheniramine: It is an antihistamine which means it can antagonize histamine release. Histamine is a substance released by cells responsible for allergic reactions in the body. It causes the contraction of smooth muscles and dilated capillaries. Brompheniramine blocks the histamine release and can limit the smooth muscle contraction in upper respiratory symptoms.
- Pseudoephedrine: It acts as a decongestant. The medical use of pseudoephedrine has been known for a long time in humans. The medical benefits of pseudoephedrine include relieving flu, common cold, sinusitis, and many more. Because of their structural similarity, amphetamines can penetrate the central nervous system, causing improved concentration. Also, it can work as a doping agent. Pseudoephedrine is a precursor of amphetamines and their derivatives production.
- Dextromethorphan: Dextromorphan with the chemical name 3-methoxy-N-methylmorphinan is a synthetic cough suppressant that has overtaken codeine use in the most over-the-counter cough suppressant formulations. Moreover, it is available in many dosage forms, including tablets, syrup, lozenge, and spray.
Uses of Bromphen Pseudo Dextro HBR Syrup
The syrup helps treat various upper respiratory issues, such as
- Common cold
- Runny nose and stuffy nose
- Teary eyes
- Eyes irritation
- Throat allergy
- Nasal decongestion
- And other upper respiratory allergies or conditions
- Dry mouth, nose, and throat
- Vision difficulties
- Digestion problem
You need to take care of some warnings before taking this formulation. Considering warnings related to taking this formulation may prevent many serious health complications. Get in contact with your physician or pharmacist before taking this syrup if you have any medical condition or history. Some of the warnings are:
- Allergies: Bromphen pseudo Dextro HBR syrup can cause allergic reactions in the body. Some noticeable allergic reactions include breathing difficulty, reduced breath rate, mild to severe itching, and swollen Mouth (lips and tongue). Call your physician or poison control centre immediately if you experience any of the listed allergic reactions. In severe allergic reactions, refer to the emergency room without any delay. Ignoring the symptoms or continue taking the drug can be life-threatening.
- Asthma: People with asthma should seriously consider the active drugs in the formulation. Brompheniramine thickens the mucus in the lungs, causing breathing difficulty. Therefore, do not take this medication without consulting with the physician.
- Diabetic people: Pseudoephedrine is a centrally acting drug that can cause hyperglycemia (increased blood sugar). It is safe to talk with your doctor or pharmacist for the safer side.
- Narrow-angle glaucoma: People with narrow-angle glaucoma should avoid brompheniramine because it can increase ocular pressure.
- Stomach or intestinal disorders: Brompheniramine can disturb the normal peristaltic movement in the body. It worsens the illness, and it’s better to talk with your doctor.
- Cardiovascular disorder: Pseudoephedrine is a problematic drug for people with high BP, arrhythmia, and impaired circulation. Even this drug can cause the death of the patient in severe cases. It’s safe to look for alternatives if you are a heart patient.
- Other health conditions: Brompheniramine and pseudoephedrine combination alone may not be safe for some people. For instance, brompheniramine is responsible for worsening urine flow. People with defective or diseased bladder necks should avoid brompheniramine. Conclusively, pseudoephedrine can be a problem for people with hyperthyroidism. Because hyperthyroidism negatively impacts heart rhythm, rate, and force, pseudoephedrine, which further worsens the heart condition.
- During pregnancy or breastfeeding: Animal studies show direct harm to the fetus when the mother consumes the drug. One of the ingredients may be highly teratogenic. Further, during breastfeeding, mothers should not consume this product because of its excretion in breast milk. It may be highly toxic to the child. Ask for further medical advice from your doctor if you are a breastfeeding mother.
- Pediatric and geriatric use: This product may act differently in senior people due to a slower process than in young adults. Carefully use this product if you want to use it. Furthermore, children younger than 6 years old should avoid consuming this product because of the lack of scientific evidence.
- Interaction with alcohol: There is an increased risk of drowsiness with drinking alcohol and taking Bromphen pseudo Dextro HBR syrup. It’s safe to consider a consultation with your physician before taking this medication.
- Blood pressure: Pseudoephedrine, one of the active ingredients, can alter the efficacy of antihypertensive drugs (atenolol, propranolol, prazosin, etc.), causing increased blood pressure. This stage may be fatal for some people. Check the label for warnings.
- Interaction with psychiatric medications: The active ingredients in the formulation may interact with psychiatric drugs such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors, anti-anxiety drugs, CNS stimulants, etc., and may increase health complications. Therefore, it’s a safe option to consider consulting your healthcare provider before using this product.
- Usage: Use this product after consulting with your doctor or pharmacist to prevent unwanted side effects. An individual can consume this product with or without food. Further, look for more information about the product if you require further assistance.
- Overdose: Inappropriately drug consumption may lead to an overdose of the drug and can cause fatal health conditions. If you experience any serious adverse reactions such as breathing difficulty or chest tightness, call your doctor or poison control centre immediately
- Storage: Protect the product from direct light and moisture. Store it at room temperature. Do not discard it in the toilet or in open places that can be harmful to other people. Additionally, always keep it away from children and pets.
- Safety monitoring: Rapid monitoring the drug intake can eliminate unwanted health risks. Monitoring can make you on a safer side.
- Sun sensitivity: The drug can cause an increased risk of sun sensitivity. It would be the best approach if you can limit your sun exposure during this drug therapy. In addition, use good quality sunscreen and protective clothing if you need to go outside necessarily.